Gold ETFs pause on Bernanke, QE3 talk
Gold exchange traded funds took a hit this week after Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said the economy is sending mixed signals. His comments tempered speculation that more quantitative easing from the central bank is imminent.
Gold prices and ETFs such as SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEArca: GLD) fell sharply on Wednesday but the metal held at $1,700 an ounce. The largest gold ETF saw one of the biggest one-day losses since late September 2011.
GLD lost more than 5% on Wednesday. Volume was triple the average for this $69.8 billion fund, reports Claudia Assis for MarketWatch.
Analysts argue that most of gold’s run-up has simply been based on QE3 hope, and Bernanke’s announcement took that element away. [Gold Miner ETFs Ride Bullion Toward $1800]
GLD is often looked at as a proxy for gold futures, due to its ease of trading and its liquidity. GLD has gained about 8% in 2012, while the precious metal has gained about 9%. Holdings in GLD have risen about 3.1% in 2012. [ETFs and the Gold/Silver Ratio]
Silver holdings also took a hit, as silver prices lost $2.56, to settle at $34.64 per ounce. The silver focused ETF iShares Silver Trust (NYSEArca: SLV) lost 6.4% on the precious metals sell-off Wednesday. [Silver ETF Sees Highest Trading Volume Since September]
SPDR Gold Trust
Tisha Guerrero contributed to this article.
- Hedge funds increased bets on a gold rally - May 9th, 2013
- Hedge Fund Gold Wagers Defy Worst Slump in 33 Years: Commodities - April 25th, 2013
- SPDR holdings fall to lowest since October 2009 - April 24th, 2013
- Gold Miners Lose $169 Billion as Price Slump Adds ETF Pain - April 22nd, 2013
- Gold needs a positive impetus to resume bull run short covering rally likely: ETFS - April 19th, 2013
- Bloodbath in Bullion: Hedge funds know it best - April 18th, 2013
- Bullish fundamentals put spotlight on tungsten - Chernin - April 18th, 2013
- At tax time, gold ETFs punish investors - April 16th, 2012
Tags: Gold analysis, Gold ETFs, Gold future prices, Gold futures, Gold investment, Gold news, Gold price, gold price 2012, gold price forecast, Gold prices, gold stocks, price of gold, Spot gold, Spot gold price