Gold futures held after consumer data on Tuesday
Gold futures on Tuesday wavered between small gains and losses, a day after rallying 1.5%, as slight advances for other commodities as well as equities supported the metal.
Gold for December delivery declined $2.40, or 0.1%, to trade at $1,708.40 an ounce on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange.
“The trade remains extremely choppy while intraday volatility is also exaggerated in thin trading volumes … despite gold’s still fairly strong correlation to the broader equity and commodity market, market participants remain reluctant to liquidate in large volumes amid ongoing uncertainty” about the euro zone, analysts at VTB Capital said in a note to clients.
Gold has tracked U.S. stocks and other raw materials such as oil in recent months, losing some of its safe-haven allure as the crisis in Europe deepened and investors fled to U.S. bonds and the dollar.
The dollar traded lower in relation to major rivals, with the dollar index down to 79.070 from 79.236 in North American trading late Monday.
A lower dollar is beneficial to commodities as it makes them cheaper to holders of other currencies.
On Tuesday, Italy sold 7.5 billion euros ($10 billion) worth of bonds, but paid more in doing so.
Other metals were mixed, with silver trading lower and copper higher. December silver rose 33 cents, or 1%, to $31.83 an ounce. December copper was flat at $3.36 a pound after posting small gains. - MarketWatch
- Gold futures climbed Wednesday - May 9th, 2013
- Gold price in Hong Kong went up 122 HK dollars per tael on Thursday - May 9th, 2013
- BullionVault's Gold Investor Index climbed to a 16-month high - May 9th, 2013
- Gold to extend gain to $1,504-technicals - April 26th, 2013
- U.S. Mint suspends American Eagle gold bullion coins sales after demand surge - April 25th, 2013
- Is gold's price drop just the beginning? - April 25th, 2013
- Gold’s Declining Price Is a Reversion to the Mean - April 25th, 2013
- Gold prices maintained an upward trend for the fourth-straight day to Rs 27,600 per 10 grams - April 25th, 2013